Monday 10 December 2012

Post 60 Moonrock

In the last glaze firing I also fired my latest root over rock, rock; the moonrock.

The colour of the clay itself when fired is quite a good stony buff colour and although once fired the stoneware is as good as impervioue to moisture, I still wanted to put a layer of glaze on it.

The glaze I used is one formulated with yellow ochre  as the colourant which for some reason offers a few more of the brighter red tones than the Red Iron Oxide which at the same level goes more brown.




Not wanting to mix up a large quantity of glaze to dip it, I painted the glaze on, which wasn't easy with all that surface texture. That said I could have used a little more glaze. Even with glazes which are formulated to produce a matte surface, where it is applied thinly it will often darken in tone towards the browns and develop a more shiny surface. So there is a little more shine here than I wanted but all those nooks and crannies will soon catch a little patina. I've got it out in the weather now, just waiting for my tube planted ficus to develop a little more this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear your advice, feedback or questions