Saturday 20 October 2012

Post 45 Root over rock, rock

Fired stoneware has a hardness of about 6 to 7 on the 10 point mohs scale. Silicon and glass are about 6 and so another reasonable comparison is granite rock. It's pretty tuff stuff. Firing to vitrification really does turn clay into stone. Anything you make this way will pretty much last forever.

So I though if you are actually making a rock like substance why not create a rock for a root over rock bonsai styling. Many years ago I was in northern NSW around Ashford where there are plentiful limestone deposits - and caves. I picked up a piece which had a very interesting pattern of rainfall erosion that looked like someone had run their fingers over the surface of a piece of clay.

I new there was a reason for keeping this rock, apart from the fact that it is now half submerged under a ficus. It has now been a point of inspiration to create an entirely new one.

Here it is at about 250mm high - the 'ghost rock'.


I think this is the front and the next one is a shot of the RHS.



In the mind of the observer things in a particular context are always what they seem to be. So what looks like a rock will be one when in place with a plant on it.

I had in mind that I would secure the tree in that depression on the side. There are plenty of 'flow paths' for roots to engage in as they head down. I've also made some holes in the side at the base to secure it to the pot. A friend has given me a few Natal Figs and so now I need to get  on and plant them in some long plastic tubes for a year or so. You have to be patient in this bonsai world, and plan well ahead! Ah the joys of anticipation.

Its probably a travesty but just for fun while messing with clay the other challenge I set myself was to create a waterfall viewing stone - Suiseki. I wanted to test both a black and a white glaze and so what better testbed.

 This is the front.
 And the back.

A diaza do you think. Well only if I have nothing more important to do.

Speaking of which I have 4 new pots just emerging from the kiln, watch this space - as soon as I get the photos cropped. With this batch I think I have just about reached a point with pot and glaze, where there is some light at the end of the tunnel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear your advice, feedback or questions